Friday, July 10, 2009

Re-Paint Opening

So the reception for Re-Paint was last night, and it was pretty great. Thanks to everyone who came out to see the show, and to those who hung out afterward for that lively discussion about the local gallery system.
Gallery 263, if you haven't seen it, is a quaint little storefront located at the corner of Pearl Street and Putnam Avenue in Cambridge, MA. It was founded when co-director Annie Newbold decided to turn her former studio space into a warm, inviting, new gallery space. The show was juried by Annie, Jed Speare (director of Studio Soto), and newcomer Laura Francis. It was Laura's curatorial debut, and judging by the incredible turnout, and the generally positive response to the work, it was a success.The show was fairly diverse and featured both new and locally established artists. Obviously, there was some work that I liked more than others, but for the most part, I was impressed with the selection, and found quite a few of the pieces to be astonishingly good. And if anyone wants to get me a present, I'll take about $500 cash, because there was more than one painting that I was sad to leave behind.

The show is open until August 1st, so stop by if you're in the area!

Gallery 263

Re-Paint!

My camera wasn't working, so I asked Matthew Mosher to take pictures with his iPhone. A little blurry, but as you can see, the place was packed!
Aaron Segal's Quantum of Solace
Picture of my completed and framed alteration:

And the 'before' photo for comparison
I didn't want to post photos of any other work without the artists' permission, but you can see more at Gallery 263's website

No comments: